The laws and regulations for the organic production of food products, animal foods, plants, and flower bulbs is laid down in legislative texts and regulations.
• the European organic regulation,
• the Dutch Agricultural Quality Act
• the regulations of Skal Biocontrole.
These documents set out the requirements which organic production and label indications must meet and also explain how supervision of this is regulated. Skal Biocontrole is the control body in the Netherlands.
Op 1 januari 2021 treedt de nieuwe Europese bio-verordening Nr. 2018/848 in werking. Deze verordening vervangt verordening Nr. 834/2007 en Nr. 889/2008. Momenteel is alleen nog de nieuwe basiswetgeving bekend. De nieuwe u
On 1 January 2021, the new EU organic regulation No. 2018/848 will come into force. This regulation will replace Regulation No. 834/2007 and No. 889/2008.
The production and control rules arising from the new EU organic regulation are still under development. The first two decrees relating to production rules have, however, already been published in the EU Official Journal:
• sprouted seeds,
• feeding of bee colonies and
• juvenile production and feeding in aquaculture
• Retroactive recognition of the conversion period (reduction of the conversion period)
• Production rules for cattle, sheep, goats, horses
• Production rules for cervine animals
• Production rules for pigs
• Production rules for poultry
• Production rules for rabbits
• Production rules for aquaculture animals
• Production rules for processed food products and animal feed
• Information regarding the availability of organic and in-conversion plant reproductive material, animals, and aquaculture juveniles
• Annex I and II: stocking density and minimum surface for indoor and outdoor areas for livestock and aquaculture
• Annex III: databases of the member states regarding plant reproductive material, animals, and aquaculture juveniles.
The European legislation for organic companies is subdivided into various regulations:
Recognized control organizations:
Everything relating to imports can be found in:
Due to COVID:
The Dutch government implements the EU regulations via its Agricultural Quality Act:
The following national regulations apply specifically for livestock production:
In addition to European and Dutch regulations, we also have our own regulations.
These explain how certification and supervision is carried out in the Netherlands.
R11: These regulations for Certification and Supervision contain the rules for organic certification by Skal Biocontrol. You can also read how Skal supervises: certified companies, the sector in general and the different inspection types are defined.
R16: The rates sheet indicates which contributions and rates apply to each target group.